Wednesday, November 21

Thanksgiving Menu, Part Two

Mom called. She tested the pie crust and it was nasty. So don't make that one, ok? Unless you like nasty crust. Boy, I'm glad she tested it. Can we get another HURRAY for mom? So we will be using a different pie crust recipe and substituting whole wheat flour for 1/2 of the required flour.

As far as our Spinach Strawberry Salad "recipe" goes, it's pretty much just spinach, sliced strawberries, and almonds. Since we have a Certain Person in our family who does not eat salad dressing (weirdo) we do not add any dressing to the salad until it is on our plates. Then we add this. Really, that is it. That dressing, if you've not tried it, is very, very good.

Steamed Garlic Broccoli is pretty easy as well. I chop up some fresh broccoli and add about a 1/2 tsp of minced garlic per head of broccoli to a bowl, then once the broccoli is steamed to that perfect tender state, I add it to the bowl with the garlic, stir and add a little salt. It is so delicious. If you have been stuck using frozen broccoli, and think it is fine, you MUST TRY some fresh steamed broccoli. I would eat it every single day if the rest of my family wouldn't get sick of it!! This from a former broccoli hater.

The turkey is making nice progress - I decided to do the quick thaw method in a water bath. I took the turkey out this morning and he's floating away. Just so you know, the Butterball ladies suggest a 1/2 hour in the water for every pound of turkey. I learned that on Rachael Ray this morning.

The sweet potatoes will be baked tonight, the apple crisp will be prepared in the morning, and baked once the turkey comes out. We eat at 1 o'clock.

Here's what I do for Apple Crisp:
Slice up a bunch of apples, to fill the dish. Add some cinnamon and a few sprinkles of flour, toss the apples about. If the apples are too tart, I will add a few teaspoons of sugar, or just use the cinnamon sugar that I have mixed up in the cupboard. Sometimes, if I feel like it, I add some nutmeg. For the oat topping, I take some oatmeal, whole wheat flour, a couple tablespoons of the darkest brown sugar I can find, a little oil or butter and more cinnamon, and smush it around until it looks right. Sometimes I add wheat germ. Then I sprinkle it atop the apples and bake it at 350 degrees until the apples are fork-tender. We often have ice cream with this yummy stuff. And sometimes I toss in a few handfuls of frozen blueberries, depending on how I'm feeling.

I will be baking the turkey in an oven bag. YAY. No basting. I love low maintenance.

2 comments:

jeileenbaylor said...

Sounds yummy! I did a brine for my turkey this year. Hopefully it will turn out :o) Isn't it fun to have TG at your house?

Kara said...

For my apple crisp I like graham cracker crumbs mixed with the oats and flour. And of course butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, too!