Thursday, August 10

the story

This c-section stuff really cramps my style. No driving, no energy, an incision...

But I am glad that God gives grace and that I am finally starting to feel better!!! Hurray!

Here's the story:
Monday, July 31, 8pm
Cervadil administered at the hospital. I had to be on a continuous monitor, and of course the little guy kept moving around and setting off the needless to say I did not get a good night's sleep.

Tuesday, August 1, 8:42am
It was determined that the Cervadil did it's thing and that my cervix was effectively ripened. Oh, how I wanted to go home. Alas, I could not. Pitocin started.

I will interject here that the stories of horror and pain of laboring by way of Pitocin are, in my opinion, exaggerated. I did not find labor to be all that bad. Shoot me if you must, but it was really pretty tolerable for me. I am thankful.

My water broke, and I made quick progress from 4 to 7 centimeters

I was dilated to 9cm, and very ready to start pushing, so in order to help me relax through the premature urge to push, I was given some Nubain. Help me relax, it did indeed. Let's just say I was a little loopy. Aaron was put on an internal fetal monitor, another thing I swore I'd never do...ah, well. Better safe than sorry.

Dilated to 10 cm, and pushing began. What a relief. Aaron was still at a -2 station, and Dr. Jordahl thought I'd have about 2 more hours of pushing to do. He was concerned b/c each time I would push, Aaron's heart rate slowed considerably and he wasn't sure the baby could handle the stress of 2 more hours of labor. A C-section was recommended.

Let me just say that at this point it was a very good thing that I was on Nubain. I was so loopy that I didn't really know what was going on and thereby made it through surgery without having to think about all that was going on. I'm certain if I'd had to contemplate with an unaltered mind, it would have been much harder on me.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I am married to the most amazing man in the entire world. He is absolutely my perfect match. He stayed with me through surgery and watched the whole process (what a brave soul!) I remember him singing "trust in the Lord with all your heart..." and telling me everything was going to be all right, that no matter what happens, God is good. His calmness and confidence in God were better than any calming drugs, that is for sure!!!

I remember saying, "be sure to tell us what it is because we don't know" and then "Here comes a baby" from the doctor. I heard Michael's voice saying "It's a boy! It's a boy" and then the sweet sound of our little man's first cries. My wonderful husband stayed with me while they put everything back together and sewed me up, and Dr. Jordahl took care of little Aaron for us, cleaning him up and weighing him, and showing him to Grandma through the nursery window.

Praise God for his all sufficient Grace and His plan for our lives!!

Recovery has not been easy; but God has provided for our needs through my mom staying with me while Michael goes to work (I still can't drive). Meals are coming from friends at church. I'm slowly regaining strength and am grateful to have a healthy, happy baby boy!

Thank you so much for your prayers and comments, and for the great e-cards we got at the hospital. It's awesome to know that friends from all over are lifting our family to God in prayer. PLEASE CONTINUE!! We are hoping to move into our new house a week from Saturday. MUCH progress has been made, but we are still needing to set up our kitchen and connect our showerhead & tub faucet before we can move in.


Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for a healthy baby Boy.

Tricia said...


The Lord is very gracious indeed, no matter how the little ones come out. =)

You are amazing recounting the birth story in that you have the time pinpointed down to the minutes. My labor stories are all using time as 10-ish or 4-ish, for example "we went to the hospital around 7-ish." (except for their birth time which was kindly recorded for me). That is great how you remember it all and have it written down. Congratulations again!

Jenny (Parker) Pittsley said...

Josiah's heart rate slowed during contractions, too. I was very close to having a c-section, and it turned out his cord was around his shoulders/neck. It's pretty nerve wracking when you're in the middle of it. I wasn't near as worried about having a c-section as concerned that something was happening to the baby. You end up so thankful to know the baby is safe, that whatever it took to get there is ok. I hope you recover quickly. I'm so glad everyone is safe, and since I haven't commented recently, congratulations!

nate, christina, and connor said...

wow! after that process and a c-section you looked that good?? kudos! what a story....well, you're in. you will forever have a story to share with women everywhere. congrats!

Shannon said...

Oh my goodness, your story is about exactly the same as mine, except Esther was born at 6:06 p.m. Boy did you have a long day. Praise the Lord for a healthy baby boy! I can still remember my doctor having this talk with me that the goal is a healthy baby and mother. I had so many perfect expectations and now looking back on it, it was so silly. I felt like a failure for having a c-section - like what if I didn't do something right, but through the whole ordeal it gave me another opportunity to trust God in a new way. And really, it was a lesson in humility, having to admit that I needed help - not very easy for me to do at times. Take it easy these next few weeks and don't overdo it. My recovery wasn't too bad, and it's just amazing how each day God gives you more and more strength. Sorry for this long post, but wanted to encourage you!!

Carrie said...

Congratulations! What a blessing - Little boys are great! I thought it was neat to see you and the Newlands had your baby so close together. (My best friend and I had ours 2 days apart - not planned). I think C-sections are the new thing for doctors to do. I've had two and recovered greatly. Just take it easy - it's a great excuse to sit around and enjoy your new little one. Best Wishes!

Andrew and Renee said...

What a story!!!! God gives grace through our spouses doesn't He?

I am sure you know we had our baby on Aug 6th. Little Caedmon and mommy are doing great! He is finally full after being hungry for about three days. I will try to get Renee to tell our story on our blog.

Love you all and will be praying,

Jen said...

What a blessing Michael could be there through it all and now having your mom stay with you - huge help! Congrats many times over!

Amandaleann said...

I am glad to hear that you are finally feeling a little better. I am also so glad that your family is so close by to be a help to you during this time of recovery. I am so happy for you and Michael. Congratulations again. Keep those pictures of Aaron coming. He's such a cutie:)
Lotz a lovin'

elisabeth said...

YEA!!! I am so happy for you both! Congratulations!

Karen said...

Congratulations, Jenny and Michael! I just love to hear people's stories... they all bring tears to my eyes. What an unbelievable miracle it is! Praise the Lord!

Shyla said...

GREAT STORY AND glad it's all over!! try to get some rest and enjoy your little man! They are the BEST!!

Katie said...

I'm thankful that you are recovering nicely and you both are safe and healthy. Praise the Lord. I'm afraid, though, that I must shoot you though, for Pitocin was certainly not as nice to me as he was to you. :) I'm glad for you though!

Katrina said...

Congratulations again guys! It is so amazing how God directs each and every step and is so involved in our lives. What an amazing God we serve who is willing to care for His children! Praise Him for a healthy baby and healthy Mom and Dad!

Kelli said...

Congratulations on the birth of adorable baby Aaron. It sounds like you went through alot before he finally entered this world, but I am sure it was worth it all when you could look into his sweet face for the first time. You look great and so happy as a few family of Three. I will be praying that you continue to heal and that you and Aaron continue to stay healthy. Congratulations again!

Carrie said...

Wow, Jenny, what a story!!! You did awesome and I agree with Tricia that you were amazing to remember all the times that everything happened! I can relate to the loopy feeling--although I haven't had Nubain, with my first birth I was put on mag. sulfate because of concerns about pre-eclampsia. It didn't really affect me till after the birth, but I was "out of it" for nearly a day afterwards. I was so thankful that I didn't have to deal with that this time around!

I hope your recovery is going well and that you can rest as much as you need to even in the midst of moving!!! Take care and enjoy lots of special snuggle time with your new little man! :)

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Welcome to the C-club!! You'll be up and around and feeling normal again before you know it! Congratulations again!

Alicia said...

What a story! God is so good. God helped us to get through our c-section easily too. I didn't have to get to 10 cm before my c-section though! Thank goodness, because I'm such a major wimp.

Congrats on your new little Muth-man. Take your time recovering and keep that positive attitude!

carissa said...

Congratulations to you!! He's adorable. Nice size baby boy. I hope you're doing well and recovering. Resting when possible?? I'll pray for you as you adjust with the move too. Love ya!!