Wednesday, December 3

happy surprises

I'm amazed at how easy it is to get out of the habit of blogging. I've almost been on a computer strike, napping when I have opportunity. I think I'm on the upward trend here for sickness, and since it is Wednesday and I have 2 healthy kiddos, I count that as a successful visit to the church nurseries this past Sunday. Break out the vitamin C and tough it out, right?

Lately, no matter how much or how little TV Aaron watches, he wants to imitate it or talk about it. "Like on TV, Mom" is a phrase I've been hearing entirely too much of around here. However, when you're sick, and if the kids decide to not nap on the same day, well...sometimes you need 30 minutes, know what I mean?

So, I broke out the Hide Em in Your Heart DVD (and our Vol. 1 which happens to be VHS). And the funniest thing happened. Aaron is singing Bible verses. I don't think I could be happier. If you haven't checked these out yet, Steve Green did a great job of setting Scripture to music. (I'm not necessarily an across-the-board Steve Green fan, BTW)

I'm memorizing James with the junior high youth group this year. Well, thus far we are only to verse 10 of chapter one, so it's not been that difficult. It had been entirely too long since I set out to memorize a passage, or even a couple of verses. I have found, happily, that it is much easier to memorize Scripture now that I'm not memorizing a multitude of other things for classes. That is one major bonus to not being in school, I suppose.

What are your favorite Scripture memory tools for kids and/or adults?

5 comments:

christina said...

love it love it love it. hide em in your heart is a favorite around here. connor got it for christmas last year and he loves singing the verses all the time. it's a perfect learning tool, too. i am able to remind him of what God says. not just what mom and dad say. it came as a dvd/cd set so we have it in the car as well.

i personally have slacked on mine, but i like to have a tiny spiral note pad with the verses i'm memorizing.

Carrie said...

Mr E - http://www.mysteryministries.net/Mystery_Ministries/Sing_the_Bible.html you can even get a free Cd if you are a Pastor. We have the crucified CD, hoping to get the others. I think we may love it more than the kids. I'm memorizing I Peter 1 - Just finished reading Jim Bergs newest book Essential Virtues, which is the passage it covers.

Unknown said...

We LOVE hide 'em in your heart though we only have the cd not the dvd. It's been a great tool for us as parents. And I love getting the Scripture songs in my head too!

We memorize verses as a part of our family devotions and I listen to Sons of Korah music (psalms verbatim put to music) to get God's Word into my brain. Haven't been diligent enough lately to memorize something on my own though.

Carrie said...

I meant 2 Peter 1 :)

Rachel said...

We have BOTH of the Hide' Em in Your Heart CD's and it really IS a great tool for memorizing scripture. I'd never heard of them before I had Michael. My husband bought them when Michael was a baby.

We've been having Michael memorize Scripture as part of his bedtime routine for over a year now. He is, like most youngsters, a very quick study. This has helped so much when we have to correct him or when we have those teaching moments unrelated to discipline issues. God promises that His Word will not return void. :)

I have been convicted of my need to continue memorizing scripture for myself. If I make my 3 year old do it - I should be doing it too!