Friday, May 7

Quick Health Update

Well, some of you may know that I've been to a nutritionist, and along with affirming my decision to cut wheat and gluten out of my diet, she also asked me to remove all non-raw dairy (I can have aged cheeses and raw milk products) and put me on some nutritional supplements for low thyroid function (among other things).

I went to her originally because I was at the end of my rope with strange gastrointestinal symptoms and (despite a careful diet and 3-5x/wk exercise) slow and steady weight gain. I knew if I went to see my doctor, at best he'd send me for blood work (which I'm not doing without first trying other things) and at worst he'd prescribe something to mask the symptoms rather than coming to a conclusion about the cause. I made an appointment to see an acupuncturist who purportedly can remove food sensitivities, but she couldn't see me until September (still waiting on that one!) So nutrition was my next non-invasive choice.

I've been gluten-free for about a month and a half, processed-dairy free for almost a month, and on the supplements as long as I've been off dairy.

I NEVER expected things to be righting themselves so well - my symptoms have all but disappeared, and while I really miss things like whole wheat bread, I have to say the way I feel - and the TEN POUNDS I've lost more than make up for it. I am SO grateful that God is allowing a more natural, less invasive solution for me! Thanks to those who prayed!!

3 comments:

Shelldell said...

That's encouraging to hear, I need to make diet changes as well and loose weight. I may try cutting out gluten to see how that makes me feel.

Karen said...

WOW, Jenny!
What a great update! So is this definitely the solution? And will you always have to GF, etc?

Ten pounds... sheesh! Awesome!

Kara said...

I am SO happy to hear you are feeling better!