Monday, August 31

Works of God Monday

Sometimes, God works in ways that are not as you expect - sometimes, learning what HE wants us to learn is a little tough. Last week was one of those weeks. God is good, all the time, and even in our struggles teaches us about His faithfulness, His strength, His grace. We are growing, and we are thankful. I am learning more intensely what trusting God is all about. And it hurts, but it's the good kind of hurt.

I am thankful, so thankful, for a sweet lady at church yesterday - she had some very encouraging words for me, and it was JUST what I needed to hear! Tears still are coming to my eyes when I think about her words that just surrounded me with God's love. I am so thankful for believers who have a long-distance focus, and wisdom to share!

Here's what happened - I always ask the nursery workers how Aaron did with obedience and with being kind to his friends. I know we struggle at home, daily, with obedience and there are times when I feel like my 3 year old should be able to consistently obey by now but I'm being honest and although we are consistent with Aaron, there are many times he chooses to disobey.

We are constantly re-evaluating and exploring whether or not we're doing it "right" and it is hard to know if there is more we can do or what we are missing - but it really is just underlining what we already know to be true - there will always be the element of personal choice in every person. Good parenting does not always yield results that we would choose, and parenting is only one element to the equation.

I don't even think there is a mom out there who doesn't struggle with comparing the obedience level of their kids to that of the offspring of other families, (or something else - smarts, cuteness, etc) and I know I'm not supposed to be comparing, I'm just supposed to be obeying God, focusing on Him, doing what He called me to, and not worrying about others and what they are supposed to be doing.

Well, yesterday, when I picked Aaron up, the teacher said he did fine. I said, OK, good. Sometimes it feels like we are never going to get there! and do you know what that sweet lady said? She told me that we would get there. She reminded me that God had a special plan for Aaron, and that He had wired him just right for the task He's got planned for him. Her words were so kind and loving, a reminder that seemed to come right from the mouth of God just for me.

By the way, I think Aaron is delightful, with many gifts and abilities, a love for learning, and an insane amount of energy and curiosity, which is a great combination. I love him so much, and he is a fantastic gift from God. Just being honest about some of the struggles!

So, how has God been at work in YOUR life this week? Please share!!

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up..." 1 Thess. 5:11

In the Mister Linky widget below, simply type your name in the top box, or a short description of the work that God has done, and then in the second box, paste the link from your specific "Works of God Monday" post. If you don't have a blog, use the comment section! Feel free to use the image from the top of this post if you like.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

How SWEET and considerate and loving and WONDERFUL of that lady to comment such on Aaron's future in God's eyes! I'm welling up sitting here reading that. What a blessed saint to remind you (and me indirectly) of God's vision for your kids. Wow. Give her a hug from me. :)

Matt & Nicki said...

Jenny,
Please know you are NOT alone--Silas is the proto-typical strong-willed child and this last month and a half have felt like a spritual boot camp! He has always been tough, I just expected that by now, as he is almost five, that he would be "improving". . .SO MUCH MORE I could say about all of this, BUT, I just wanted to let you know--I get it!! I have cried so much over the defiance, and outright disobedience, wondering what I have done wrong. . . a lady in my church reminded me, that we are "fighting for Silas's soul!" What a great perspective! I will pray for you as I think of you and your struggles!

Karis said...

Jenny, I so understand too. Kayla's strong-willedness has improved so much in so many ways, but she still chooses her own way so often. The other day, I lost it and said to her "I just don't know what else to do with you" in a voice that did not model the way I want her to talk to her sister. I wanted to take it back the minute I said it, but ...

And Krista is just as strong willed as Kayla was at the almost 2 phase. "They" told me I wouldn't get two strong-willed in a row... but I sure do love my girls.

What sweet words that lady shared with you! We young moms need that encouragement.