Thursday, June 12

"hard" times

For the past week, I've been miserable. At least, part of me has. Last Friday, I began having pain in my sinuses on the right side of my face that created immense pressure and pain in my teeth on that side of my face. I tried everything natural I could possibly think of, and finally caved in on Sunday and went to Urgent Care in hopes that an antibiotic would remedy the situation.

Fast forward to Tuesday. Still no relief, and the antibiotic is making me sick. Being pregnant, all I can take for the pain is Tylenol. Oh, that really cuts the pain. (note the sarcasm) My family doctor changed my prescription to something stronger. Tuesday night, the pain increases. I am starting to wonder if this pain is also related to my actual teeth. I am starting to seriously doubt my sanity, my judgment is impaired, I wonder if it is time to turn in my driver's license.

I have a pretty high pain threshold, but this pain is pretty bad. Most nights, I haven't had more than a few minutes of sleep at a time - the pain in my teeth is waking me up in the night. Apply hot compress, feel some relief, return to bed.

Wednesday night, I decide an emergency visit to the dentist is in order. Maybe the problem is a combination sinus and tooth problem. The dentist is open at 8. So, more Tylenol and off to bed. I am now awake, at 4:02 am, waiting for my second dose of Tylenol to kick in. This is the second or third time I am awake, I've lost track of these sleepless nights. Will you "count blessings instead of sheep" with me?

There are so many people who deal with severe, chronic pain on a daily basis. I've had very few times in my life that I've had to deal with something this severe. This is blessing #1.

Yesterday was an extraordinary day with Aaron. We had so much fun, and he is the sweetest boy. This is blessing #2. He slept until 9, which allowed me to get in a little extra sleep despite this pain. Extra sleep is good, especially when there is extra pain. This is blessing #3.

My husband has been wonderfully supportive, offering back rubs and foot rubs and telling me not to worry about certain household chores that I've been too distracted by pain to accomplish. I'm so blessed to have an understanding spouse. Blessing #4.

I'm learning to trust God in the middle of this tiny little "hard" time. This is the character training, the workout for my faith and practical theology that I've been needing. Blessing #5.

I am more thankful for things like antibiotics, modern medicine, dental care, sleep. More thankful is good. Blessing #6.

This week, there has been a shortage of at-home work for me, which I originally thought was a disaster, but now...well, I'm definitely glad God knows what I need and can handle. Blessing #7.

Well, the Tylenol is finally kicking in. God is always good, all the time. My blessings are coming to mind more than ever now, but it is time to return to bed. Please pray for me, that I will be a soft, mold able lump of clay in my excellent Potter's hands.

Has God been revealing Himself to you lately - by "hard times" or by blessings? Has He been teaching you lessons? Can you share them? Will you? I'd love to hear!

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

I am praying for you.
Love, Aunt Rosemary

Kara said...

I'll pray for you, too. The dental hygienist in me is dying to know what the source of your pain is.

I think I've had some blessings and some hard times... hard times being I am just extremely cranky in general from being pregnant (I feel like the baby is going to actually fall out sometimes and my bladder is very uncomfortable) and my poor children suffer the brunt of this. But I know we will be one big happy family again- soon! God has blessed me with children and I sometimes forget that they are a blessing indeed.

ruth said...

Jenny, I was praying for you yesterday. For some reason, I thought there might be something going on with you. I'll continue to pray for you today. I hope you feel better soon!

Shelldell said...

Jenny, I pray you'll feel better soon.That your thoughts will look to what the blessed future holds for you and your new little addition to the family.
You are wise in asking prayer and advice from others.
looking forward to here about what God has done in your life.
Shelley

Tracy said...

Jenny, I'll be praying for you. Thank you for counting your blessings in spite of the severe pain you are in.

jeileenbaylor said...

Hang in there - I am sure things seem so overwhelming right now. We will be praying for you :)