Monday, December 10

that is what I get for slacking off.

So, we're traveling to Colorado at the end of the week. And in order to take our son with us, it would probably be a good idea to take his birth certificate. Oh wait, I never went to the county clerk's office to pick that up.

I seem to remember that on 8/4/06, when we were discharged from the hospital and got all those instructions on how to get a copy of the birth certificate that they told us it would be $10. I remember thinking it was awfully inconvenient, and couldn't they just give it to us at the hospital and add $10 to our bill?

I called today, so it would be ready to pick up. And now it's $12.

My, my, my. It seems the frugal choice would have been to get the child his birth certificate before inflation drove the price up. And ok, before his first birthday. At least. And part of me just has to ask - don't I pay county taxes? Shouldn't this sort of thing be covered?

Did you guys have to pay and make a separate trip for your kiddos' birth certificates?

11 comments:

Reads said...

Yes, we did pay to get Audrey's birth certificate. I actually did it online and then had it mailed to our house. Can't remember how much they wanted for that little service. . . We got it so we could get Audrey's passport to go to England. I know Southwest told us that we could even use an insurance card to verify the birthdate. . .sorry probably a little late now. The certificate is probably a good thing to have anyway. When we flew to NJ I forgot to bring any ID; praise the Lord for nice people at the desk that let it slip. . . I had her passport photo e-mailed to me for the return flight home.

pamela s said...

Maleia's came in the mail today - 3 weeks after being born. No cost to us - well, I haven't gotten the hospital bill yet, but on the certificate it says it's free. We'll see about that. :) We had to fill out the paperwork before leaving the hospital. Glad to have gotten it before our trip out this week!

Abby said...

I think we had to pay $15 or something for it - for a certified copy or whatnot. I got it about 3-4 weeks after Elijah was born. When we flew, they never once asked for verification, but then again, Elijah was only 2 1/2 months when we flew, so it's kind of hard to mistake that age!

christina said...

they gave us a form at the hospital so we could send away for it via the usps. $14-- i, in my new mommy mind, imagined doing so. but i had no check stub or document to prove it. so when he was nearing two and we were flying i had to make a mad dash down to the city records office. $14 later, he's officially ours. :)

Rachel said...

I knew that if I didn't get Michael's info. mailed out ASAP, I'd never get it done. It cost $8 but I have it!!

The Barkers said...

Hee hee! I just got Jonas' in Oct when we came to MI! We had to mail off for ours. One copy was $12 also. We orderd a couple different copies. It came within a week. I was surprised!

Carrie said...

We had it mailed to our house but I can't remember if we had to pay for it.

Karis said...

Krista's arrived yesterday by mail one week after I mailed the application for it with the $12 fee. The hospital filled out whatever needed to be done to have her social security card mailed to us but not the birth certificate. I remember thinking that it would be nice if they would just send away for the birth certificate to be mailed to us too because there's enough going on the first few weeks after birth... :-)

Lissa said...

You guys are going to Colorado? Will you be home for Christmas? How long will you be out there?

Hope you have safe travels!!

Love,
Lissa

Unknown said...

Never had to pay for Chloe's bc as far as I can remember. Safe journey to Colorado! I hope you're flying and not driving.

Tricia said...

That makes me think that maybe I should get at least one of my children's birth certificates. I don't seem to think that I have any of them, and my boy just turned 5 on Sunday...can you believe that! Wow, I'm a slacker, good thing we haven't needed it yet. I'll get right on that! =)