Tuesday, January 25

Crazy

Here's my newest project - turning my scraps of fabric into a usable item instead of sitting in the closet in bins. I have a little bit done so far and already I am thinking I would rather just use squares. Ha! My attention span is so short. I also need to round up more of my scraps. I'm toying with the idea of putting together sections like this and then cutting them into uniform blocks so that it's a little more manageable, and putting a border between the blocks.

This all started with me trying to figure out how to reuse a mattress pad. The elastic sides came off and the top is still in great condition, so I cut off the stretchy parts and it's sitting in a basket just waiting for new life. I figure it will be a nice big blanket to use on a twin size bed, or to snuggle under with a book on a rainy day (in my dreams).

I'm blogging about it for accountability purposes. Ha!

Anybody ever made a crazy quilt before? Or any kind of quilt?

9 comments:

Shelldell said...

I've made all sorts of quilts, crazy, around the world, blocks...
Gave most of them away for baby showers and fund raisers.
I did manage to keep one that I made out of old sweaters that were shrunk. It's nice and warm.
Making quilts from old projects is a lot of fun.

Carrie said...

I have never quilted, but it's on my list of things to learn--hopefully this year!!! I too have tons of scraps I would love to use up in a quilt. Do you read the Pleasant View Schoolhouse blog? She makes beautiful quilts, and makes it look so easy. My mother-in-law quilts a lot, and I have a good friend who does, too. She made quilts for each of our kids when they were babies.

Yours is looking great!! What a fun project. :)

Unknown said...

I've never quilted either but it seems like a learn-able art. GREAT idea for your fabric scraps! I just throw my fabric in a bin and forget about it. :( Hopefully someday I'll do something productive with all the stuff I'm saving . . .

Autum said...

Use the mattress pad for the batting in your new quilt.

Jenny said...

Autum, I guess I should have been more clear. This is the plan. :-)

Kara said...

My friends are going quilt crazy!! have you seen what Amanda's up to? Oh boy, it's a tough one, but I'm sure she'll get it worked out.
I love the idea of cutting it into squares with borders around them. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Richelle Wright said...

most of my kids outgrown clothes, i've just passed along. but there's always those outfits that you love ... like the ones all 8 of them have worn, etc., etc., etc.? i've been keeping those, all along with the idea of making a quilt one of these days. i'm just now starting to get enough material that i can start... you may have just inspired me!

ExploreColorado said...

What a great idea, an awesome way to re-use old fabric. I may have to try that.

Amanda said...

kara!! ha ha!

the practical guide to patwork. this is a greeat book!

I am a little disgusted with all the measuring of the blocks..seam allowances.. I am taking a class at the quilted cottage in saginaw and it is really really good. the woman who teaches it is really smart and has great wors of art. but it has taken some of the fun out of it b/c you do have to measure everything. blocks need ot line up blah blah blah.. I am with you on sewing stips togeteher and the squaring them up afterward!