Wednesday, January 5

Home Reserve (Part 3)

OK, thank you for your patience! This is the last installment!! See the little wooden box over to the left? That is an arm frame. A dense foam piece goes on top and then you have to wrestle the fabric on. It gets your blood pumping, and I do not recommend doing that part alone OR with curious, energetic children around. Definitely not with both variables.

The chair frame is pretty obvious, it's right in the center of the photo. The foam and pillows come all vacuumed into these giant plastic bags and expands as soon as you open the box. Pretty funny.





The third picture is a top-down view of the seat part of the sections, before the storage bin top is put on. It's a pretty good size storage area, would be good for a blanket or some reading material.

You can see, if you compare photos, that the fabric has come down over the top of the frame like a pillowcase. You can also see the arm piece has been connected to the seat part. That happens with bolts and wing nuts. Very easy to reconfigure.



The picture was taken right before we bolted the two sectional pieces together to make the loveseat.

The fourth picture is of Michael stuffing the fiberfill pillow for the back of the seat into the fabric case. Those were much easier than the seat pieces - fiberfill is easier to manipulate than dense foam.

Speaking of dense foam, we both like a firmer seat on our couch, so the Home Reserve dense seats are perfect for us. We love the firmness. It's not so firm you feel like you are sitting on styrofoam, but it doesn't swallow you whole like some of the couches at the furniture stores. The company website says the seats will loosen up with time, but I kinda hope not. And if it someday happens that the foam loosens too much, we can just order new seat cushions.

The final photo is the finished product - and my little thumb sucker. I like how you can see in that picture that the fabric has a variegated brown color. I really ended up liking how it looks.

We have another love seat that is the same length - 56 inches - but this one is so much more efficient with seating - 44 inches of space for sitting. I have even been able to steal little power naps on it a time or two with my head on the armrest and my knees bent.


As far as final verdict, we will definitely be getting more pieces from Home Reserve to either make a sectional or at the very least, a longer couch. The quality is as good as it gets in this price range, id not better, and while I am not against all outsourced goods, it is so nice to know that this is a US company.

And I'm confident that I can get ahold of them if something goes wrong. They have a 5 year guarantee on the frame pieces, so if anything breaks they will send us a new one. So maybe in 5 years we will be in the market for a new seating situation, who knows, really.




I do have a couple of small gripes. Very small. One is that the ottoman is a little higher than the one I am used to. It;s not that bad, but I like an ottoman to be 1-2 inches lower than the couch. it's the same height.

I also wish that the seat bottoms (storage bin covers) were actually covered with something so they weren't exposed wood stuff, but I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it. I may rig something up to make it "prettier" when the kids take the cushions off for fort building.

The other gripe is that the furniture slides super easily on our flooring, which would not be as much of an issue with carpet or if I didn't have crazy children.

See? I told you. Very small gripes. My only other wish is that I had another section so I could stretch out a little better when I get the urge to take a 10 minute nap when the kids are sleeping! We are very happy with our purchase! Now we just have to wait and see how it lasts, and I will keep you posted on that. Oh, by the way, this is the Laney Style in La Paz Coffee, and it is a right sectional arm piece hooked to a left sectional arm piece (for future flexibility) and a (stand alone) modular ottoman.

One more thing, in case you were wondering. I was not paid to write this review.

**Note** as of August 2016, we still have this loveseat and ottoman. The loveseat is now seeing considerably less traffic in our daughter's room and holding up quite well. We love the storage! 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely finished product!

Shelldell said...

It looks nice.

Shannon Smith said...

I have a suggestion for you on the easily sliding furniture... We put little squares of the rubbery kind of shelf paper under the legs of our couches. Makes them stay put MUCH better!

Mary Ann said...

Excellent & thorough review! Your pieces look very nice & I think I just may have to show this to my husband. We were given a very nice love seat with a pull out bed but it doesn't match at all & we really need some sort of ottoman...who knows...maybe it will be Home Reserve for us someday, too!

Blaine said...

Jenny,

Sandy, from Home Reserve customer service, sent me the link to your blog. It looks like you guys did an excellant job in making everything look beautiful. Well done.

Such clear story writing gives us a good chance to hear first hand how people are experiencing the furniture and read about possible improvements. Thanks for the insights! (I really like the faux leather fabric you choose- one of my favorites.)

Blaine Wieland
President
Home Reserve

Mom and Dad Muth said...

Hi Jenny!
You did a very nice job of telling us about your purchase and "making" of your furniture. Thanks! You will probably be glad in the future that your ottoman is a high as it is. When we have injured feet or legs, the Dr. usually orders resting with your feet above your heart. It will be much easier to do this with a higher ottoman. I remember when Tim would tell us about his "power naps" at college, when he would rest with his feet very high in the air. It makes sense to me. :)

Abby said...

Love it Jenny! I might have to look into this for the future - the items they have are great and I LOVE all the fabric choices!!! Now I want new furniture - thanks a lot :-)

Stephens said...

Very nice! I'm happy for you guys and loved reading the whole story of your furniture adventure. :-)