Friday, October 27

weird but yummy

I love fall...and fall foods. Squash, apples, pumpkin... ESPECIALLY pumpkin. And those happy fall desserts like pumpkin donuts, pumpkin bread, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin dip, pumpkin pie...all very delish, and not exactly at the top of the healthy list. I found this recipe online and modified it a little. It's amazing, and the best part? I am eating veggies & whole grains for breakfast and it tastes great!!!

Pumpkin Oatmeal (2-3 servings)
1 cup quick oats

1 1/4 cups water (or more)

1/2 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*

2 T brown sugar


Mix oats & water, microwave 2-3 minutes or until thick. Add pumpkin, spice, and sugar, heat through. YUMMY! * Make pumpkin pie spice at home! 1T cinnamon + 3/4 tsp nutmeg + 3/4 tsp ginger + 1/2 tsp cloves and you've got some for now and for later.

Try it and let me know what you think.

9 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

Last night at a party I had pumpkin cheesecake for the first time. It was awesome! Have you ever had it?

Jenny said...

yes, I love it! (but I love pumpkin everything...)

bethnbrad said...

Hey honey! Come and visit anytime!!! We'd love to see you! We had a blizzard on Thursday and today it was 64 degrees. Go figure! My email is Beth@mesahills.org. I'd love to hear more from you!

Stephens said...

You have to check out Sarah's blog. Several posts ago she had some recipes from the Cake Doctor book. There is a chocolate/pumpkin cake that is awesome! We thought it sounded strange to have those two flavors, but man, is it good. I will be trying the pumpkin oatmeal this week. I start phase 2 tomorrow--yeah!!!

Rob and Amanda Edmondson said...

I will definitely be having that for breakfast tomorrow... hmmm, do you think Isaac would like it? He has oatmeal almost every day, but it usually plain ol' oats and raisins... We'll give it I go, and I'll let you know what HE thinks!

Jenny said...

I'm curious to find out what Isaac thought of the pumpkin oatmeal for sure!

Unknown said...

I'm totally trying this tomorrow. I just roasted up a few pumpkins yesterday so I've got tons of fresh cooked pumpkin to use up. Thanks for sharing! This will go up on the recipe blog too.

Rob and Amanda Edmondson said...

Isaac wasn't too keen on the pumpkin oatmeal, but then he didn't give it much of a try as the orange color scared him away pretty fast:) Daddy did make him take a few bites for my sake before he moved on to something a little safer!

Jenny said...

LOL! Oh, well...I hope YOU enjoyed it!