Tuesday, March 10

Grocery Budget Tip: Meat

I’ve had a few people message me about how our family is able to stick to such a frugal grocery budget. I can hear the skepticism in their emails. So I thought I’d type out some specifics as I think of them. Tonight, I went to our local meat market to stock our freezer. The quality of the meat there is far above what I have been able to find at the local big name grocery store, although not as awesome as buying it from my farmer friend. However, the prices are amazing.

Tonight, I paid $14.90 for 10 lbs of chicken, $12.16 for a whole pork loin, which they cut and wrapped for me into 4 2lb roasts. I also purchased some lean ground beef for $2.89/lb. I came home and cut and packaged the chicken and beef and labeled the pork roasts and froze it all in quart size bags. All said and done, we have enough meat in the freezer for 14 Muth sized (6 people) meals for under $40. This will easily last us more than 2 weeks as we try to do at least one meatless meal per week and we also do “leftover night” and breakfast for dinner at least every 2 weeks.

This is just one of the ways we stick to our budget! No, we aren’t eating a lot of steak and tenderloin but that is just fine. We are grateful for our little meat market!

Some things I  make with these purchases:

BBQ pork
Pork Carnitas
Shredded “like Qdoba” pork
(Any of these can be made into tacos, burritos, or burrito bowls)

Homemade low carb/gf  chicken nuggets
Chicken Tikka masala
Shredded chicken tacos
One of 3 types of chicken soup
Salsa Chicken
Chicken enchiladas

Tacos/taco salad
Spaghetti sauce (over green beans for low carb)
Low carb lasagna

TA DA!!!


No comments: